Planning for a move or other life event that requires extra storage space can be stressful. Some things you need to store require extra care because they’re either fragile or valuable to you, and you don’t want anything to get damaged or lost. Let us help - check out our self storage tips!
The tips you’ll find here will help you pack, move, and store your items efficiently, and we’ve included details on how to prepare a broad range of items. Take a look and learn something new!
- Here are some helpful hints to make your move into your storage space a breeze:
- Rent a space that’s a little larger than what you think you need, this way, there’s room for circulation/access/expansion.
- Be prepared. Have all supplies such as tape, tape dispenser, bubble wrap, and markers, next to your boxes while packing.
- Use the same size brand new boxes where possible to aid in stacking. Avoid second-hand boxes (especially produce boxes) as they compromise your goods as well as possibly harbor vermin.
- Dust covers, furniture covers, mattress covers, bubble wrap and packing peanuts help to prevent damage when packing/storing.
- Avoid using newspaper for wrapping items. The ink from the printed newspaper rubs off easily and can be difficult to remove from certain items, such as china.
- Make sure tops and sides of boxes do not bulge or sag. Under-packed boxes may collapse and over-packed boxes may rupture.
- Double box very fragile items and fill voids between boxes with bubble wrap. Wrap in bubble wrap and fill empty spaces with peanuts. This prevents shifting of the items while carrying.
- Wrap heavy items first with bubble wrap and place in bottom of a box. Wrap lighter items the same way and place on top. Boxes should not be heavier than 50 pounds.
- Hang clothing from closets into wardrobe boxes. This prevents them from getting too wrinkled. Shoes can be placed in bottom of the wardrobe box.
- Use pallets when available on the floor of the storage space to allow for ventilation. Do not put furniture directly against the wall. Leave a couple of inches wherever possible to help promote air flow.
- When filling space, start in back and place items in “horseshoe” pattern around the perimeter first and fill-in middle last. This allows aisle space to reach items in back when needed.
- Always leave enough room in the front of your storage unit so that you can get to your things easily. Make sure you place the things that you will need in the front of the space.
- Clean out any heavy appliance and let dry before putting into storage. Leave the doors ajar for air flow. Use this extra space for any small items you may have.
- Cover mattress and box springs with sheets and mattress bags and stand securely on their edge on a pallet.
- Cover all upholstered furniture, like sofas (but not sleeper sofas) and stand on end to maximize your space.
- Leather and wood furniture should be wiped down with a heavy coat of polish before being put into storage.
- Table and chair legs should be wrapped with bubble wrap to avoid any kind of scratching. If at all possible, disassemble tables and tape the screws, bolts or other loose items underneath of furniture.
- Treat any metals such as garden tools or bicycles, with a rust inhibitor before storing them.
- Fill dresser drawers with lightweight clothing. Heavier clothing should be packed in boxes. Tops of dressers can be used as a base for your boxes. Place bubble wrap in between the boxes and dresser.
- When storing lawn mowers, trimmers, leaf blowers or any other items with engines drain all gas and oil.
Got Questions? We're just a phone call away!!